Thursday 1 August 2019

“I wish I knew … when I started my career” (Part I)



There is always something you wish you would know in the past, but you didn’t. The time when you started your career, you were only 22, a fresh graduate from a college. You were probably not well prepared enough to enter into the “real world”.

Here is what 11 TED Fellows wish they knew when they were starting out: -

1. Think about your next project or idea NOW!

Not later. “I wish I had spent time earlier in my career thinking more about what projects I wanted to do and what I liked. Previously, I was working on stuff that I liked but were other people’s ideas.” – Erika Hamden, astrophysicist

Think or even plan what you want to do next now so that you can start to develop the skills or seek for resources needed.

2. It’s OK to ask

“I wish knew that it was OK to ask questions and that it’s OK to fail. By failing and asking questions — that’s actually exactly what you’re supposed to be doing in grad school. Your professors are waiting for you to come to them with questions or to say that you’re not doing well. I think things would be a lot easier if I knew that up front.” – Lauren Sallan, paleobiologist

The easiest way to learn is to ask questions. Don't be afraid of asking, because people will appreciate your curiosity.

3. Negotiation is power

“I wish I knew about negotiation — that between saying ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to something in my career, there will be room to explore and arrive at an ideal outcome through negotiation.” – Jasmeen Patheja, artist and activist

Negotiation is important in corporates. It is a tool for you to seek for alternatives or solutions that take your interest into account.

4. Find an advocate

“I thought if I worked really, really hard and proved myself that I would be rewarded. That’s not really how things work. It’s usually who you know and who is advocating for you.

I believe if my gender were different, I would’ve had a much easier time in my career. I’m advocating for women to become police officers, but I never want to lie to them. It will be difficult, but it’s worth it because the more women that come into policing, we can change the culture.” – Ivonne Roman, police captain

5. You may look different but still you have just as much value

“Sometimes you just feel so alone. You’ll go to a meeting and you’re the only black person there or there are just a few of you. Whenever this happens, I always remind myself that the reason I am in the meeting is because I have an important role to play and I will do my best to contribute.” — Moreangels Mbizah, lion conservationist

Mbizah advised to focus on the reason that make you being there and on the bigger picture. Focus on the similarities and the goal that brought you and your peer together, not the differences.

Next week, we will examine another six lessons “I wish I knew …” (part 2). Meanwhile, have a pleasant week!


Reference:
Taylor Trudon, “What I wish I’d known when I started my career”: 11 innovators tell us https://ideas.ted.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment